Sony Brings Back The Walkman For The Streaming Era
- Every 80’s and 90’s kid remembers the Sony Walkman – but the original pocket music player is making a comeback in 2023.
- Sony is reviving the Walkman brand for its new line of hi-res digital media players.
- The new Walkman doesn’t play cassette tapes or CDs – it’s strictly digital. But it’s a portable music player that “inherits the philosophy” of the original, the company says.
- It’s certainly going to be pricier than the original Walkman – while it hasn’t yet launched in the U.S., the price in Japan is upwards of $800.
- Did you have a Walkman growing up? Do we really need a portable music player when we all have smartphones?